Monday, May 20, 2013

Shots, Communication, and Some Unexpected India Preparation

Hello All!

I'm all moved into my temporary home here in Chicago. The interns are staying at The Pavilion Apartment complex, and the set up is very nice. Melanie and I are rooming together during this short stay here, and we have the same manager at work, so we've been able to coordinate some driving arrangements and things which has been really nice. For those who read my last post, believe it or not, but I did actually finish cleaning my room back at Purdue, and it's all ready for my roommates to move in and completely spotless [I'm pretty sure I had some doubters that I would finish the task before I left for Chicago ;)].

Today was my first day of work at UOP LLC, A Honeywell Company. As a refresher, I'm working in the Engineering Department as a Design Engineer (For all my fellow CHE 450 classmates at Purdue, I'll let you know how similar it is to our design class :p ) I was extremely busy today with orientation where I heard multiple presentations about UOP, intern expectations, and safety. I also had the pleasure of going to the doctor onsite today in order to be cleared for travel. I'll have a total of three visits with her. Today I got my first Hepatitis A shot, with Polio and Typhoid to follow these next two days. I was there for quite awhile for several tests before they could give me the thumbs up to travel. I also got a prescription for malaria pills which are an adventure in themselves. I have to take one every day starting two days before we leave for India and ending a week after we get back from India! I didn't know that preventing malaria was so involved, but I'll do anything in order to NOT get that disease.The doctor also gave me some emergency numbers to call in case I get sick while I'm there, as well as a medical kit with things like band-aids, thermometers, Tylenol, Pepto Bismol, motion sickness medicine, etc. I hope this information puts some of my family members at ease in regards to my health while I'm there =) She also gave me some suggestions regarding a probiotic to take as well while I'm there which will hopefully help keep things from going totally awry with my digestive system. In regards to my digestive system, all I can say is that I'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best =)

After being a pin cushion with the doctor, I met my manager.  She's awesome, and I'm very excited to work with her this summer even though most of the communication will be done electronically. It's definitely going to be first hand experience in working on a global scale within a company. She gave Melanie and I our Blackberry phones today that we are suppose to use to get to India. Once we are in India we will give the Blackberrys back and get a local phone, so the three interns can all communicate while we are there which will be really nice and convenient to have! Tomorrow we are suppose to set up our laptops which will be what we use to do all our work while in India. For those wanting to communicate with me while in India, I'll be bringing my personal computer, so Google Hangout/Facebook will be the best way! The time difference is nine and a half hours in case anyone was curious.

At the end of the day Melanie and I went to get our security badges and open Citibank accounts in order to prevent having a bunch of ridiculous charges from our banks while withdrawing money in India. Both the offices in Gurgaon have Citibank ATMs on site, so it'll be a convenient way to get money while we are there.

As I'm sitting here basking in the heat of my apartment since the air conditioner is broken (how ironic is it that two of the interns going to India would get a broken AC apartment. I think it's a secret preparation test!), I keep thinking of all these things I should buy before I leave Sunday. I've started taking an inventory of everything I have and making a list of things I should still probably get before I go. I'll probably get most of my stuff in Merrillville when I drop my car off at Grandma's in order to avoid paying crazy high Chicago taxes :p

Well, I think that covers everything for now. I'm leaving Sunday which means when I post next I'll be in INDIA! =) If you have any questions or comments leave them below, and I'll respond before Sunday.

Love,

Sequoia

No comments:

Post a Comment