| This picture and a press release were sent to ALL of Honeywell India! The same photo and a similar press release is located on the front page of UOP's internal website homepage too! |
![]() |
| India Gate |
As it turns out, John Kerry along with Hilary Clinton basically created the whole Passport to India program. It was their brain child if you will. For those who don't know, Passport to India is a program endorsed by the US Department of State. The premise is to send American students to India for internships completely through the private sector. Myself, Marisa, and Melanie are all in the Passport to India program but are being completely funded through Honeywell. Why India you ask? Over 100,000 Indian students come to the US every year to study and work compared to the 4,000 American students who come to Indian to study and work. Normalizing these numbers based on differences in population between the two countries, India sends 6.5 times as many students to the US than the US sends to India. The Passport to India program hopes to lessen this gap, so that the percentage of American students being exchanged with India becomes equal.
![]() |
| Official Name Badge! |
The night before we met with many employees from the Department of State who organized the program in order to get a run down of what was to occur the next day. We also met three other Passport to India interns! Three students from Columbia University who are working in Mumbai were also attending the dialogue as representatives of the Passport to India program. At the meeting we heard the disappointing news that only two Passport to India interns would get to meet John Kerry while those whom did not meet John Kerry would be expected to speak for 1-2 minutes during one of the dialogue's break out sessions about their experiences in India. Myself and Ben Harris (Columbia Passport to India intern) were chosen to meet John Kerry.
![]() |
| It's blocked off so this is the closest we could get to it! |
![]() |
| Marisa, David, Melanie, Myself, Doreen, and Ben at the India Gate! |
Tuesday Marisa, Melanie, and I headed to the ITC Maurya Hotel in New Delhi to participate in the India-US Higher Education Dialogue. Words can't even begin to describe this crazy amazing day, but I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot. We arrived at the hotel and took the elevator to the top floor where the dialogue would be held. We had to stop and get some good pictures next to the fancy sign. In my last blog post I mentioned how the three of us went shopping for Indian suits. The three of us wore them at this awesome event! So comfortable and so pretty! I absolutely love the clothes Indian women wear.
| Full Suit! |
| I loved the detailing at the top! |
| New Friends! So excited to see them in Mumbai this weekend! |
While we 'clicked' pictures (no one ever says snap a picture here. They always use the term 'click.') the largest man I have ever seen in my life (seriously, this guy was body builder status) came out of the elevator with a dog. It was a bomb dog! The dog went through all the rooms Secretary Kerry would be in to make sure the coast was clear. I had never seen anything like that before. I wanted to take a picture of the huge man with his dog, but I figured that might look a little fishy. The other Passport to India interns soon arrived so we again clicked some pictures. Ben and I were pulled aside and given official instructions on how our meeting with the Secretary would proceed.
![]() |
| Hanging out with Under Secretary Kanter! |
| Tara Sonenshine speaking during the dialogue sessions. This was her last diplomatic meeting ever! |
My first thought when I saw Secretary Kerry was 'Whoah. He is so tall!' He walked out of the Humble House restaurant in the ITC Maurya with the India's Minister of Human Resource Development, Dr. M. Mangapati Pallam Raju (he goes by Pallam Raju for short) where the two had been discussing the upcoming higher education dialogue and the India-US Strategic Dialogue from the day before. His first words were
"Anyone know the score of the Bruins game?"
Staff Member: "They uh.."
Another Staff Member: "Um, they, uh...lost sir."
"WHAT?! Last I checked they were up 2-1! Oh no..oh no!" exclaimed the extremely disappointed Secretary as he waved his hands and hung his head. After a brief moment of mourning, he let out a sigh and looked straight at me as if slightly amused by my native attire. He scanned myself, Ben, and two other students from India who came to the US to study through the Community College exchange program. He started to walk towards us and say hello, but his publicist quickly ushered him away to the fancy sign (the same one the above pictures are in front of) for an official photo shoot with university and college presidents from both the US and India who had signed MoU's (memorandum of understanding) for their partnerships with one another. After a few pictures were clicked, the four students (including me!) were ushered over to Secretary Kerry and Minister Raju. I was right next to Secretary Kerry for the picture. His publicist kept waving me to get closer and closer to him. We all flashed our pearly whites and stood. A man began to speak to Secretary Kerry and explained that the Passport to India interns were on his left. In the middle of the pictures he looked down at me. I felt really awkward and wasn't quite sure what to do. The cameras were still flashing! Eventually I looked back up at him and said "Hi! I'm Sequoia Murray." He replied with, "Hello Sequoia, I'm John Kerry."
![]() |
| Funny Introduction with John Kerry |
![]() |
| Speaking with the Community College exchange students. I'm peaking in the background per usual. This photo was in several Indian newspapers! |
| US Secretary of State John Kerry giving opening remarks at the India-US Higher Education Dialogue. |
In between each breakout session there were breaks where people would get refreshments and mingle with one another. These time periods were just as interesting as the breakout sessions! I met so many amazing people and had so many fascinating conversations with various presidents from Indian and American universities and community colleges. I met many people from the US Embassy in India, as well as from the US Departments of State and Education.
I spoke pretty extensively with Minister Raju during one of the breakout sessions.
![]() |
| Minister Raju and Myself |
I also had the pleasure of conversing with the Indian Ambassador to the United States, Nirupama Rao. She invited Ben and I to the Indian Embassy in the United States when we returned! She was so great to speak with and even Tweeted a photo of her, the Passport to India interns, and Under Secretary Martha Kanter!
https://twitter.com/NMenonRao/status/349382080272146432/photo/1
![]() |
| We got a good one! It took a lot of attempts. |
![]() |
| Laughing with Martha! She is seriously hilarious. |
![]() |
| And now we are focused! |
| Hanging out after the dialogue |
![]() |
| Us with the Community College Exchange Program Students! |
I'm getting really behind on these blog posts. I'll try to have one up about this past weekend ASAP!
Love,
Sequoia
P.S. A ton of pictures were clicked of me while I was with John Kerry. There are a lot floating around on the internet here in India because of the heavy newspaper coverage that was done for the dialogue. This link has a few more photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/usembassynewdelhi/9139498665/in/photostream/
The US Embassy is suppose to contact me and deliver me an official picture. I'll let you guys know when that comes!












No comments:
Post a Comment